CodeIgniter : A recommendation for PHP Programmer

I was thinking to publish this post way before but between my irregularity and busy schedule I couldn’t do that. Today, I would like to tell you that Why I choose CodeIgniter for my current project and recommend it for other programmers? I’ve used CakePHP for my one previous project in which I’ve used the version 1.1.7 of Cake. I must admit that CakePHP is a great MVC framework with but there are many performance issues in the related to CakePHP and I decided not to use it until the final version of 1.2.0 of CakePHP which is still in RC phase while writing this post.

Why I recommend PHP Programmers to use CodeIgniter?

Yes I’ve decided to use it along with this I’ve asked my programmer friends out there in office to use it. You’re wondering why I choose CodeIgniter rather than using Zend Framework, which add more values in PHP programmer’s career.Let’ me answer them all in the reasons below.

1. The main issue which I got attracted with CodeIgniter is its performance. CodeIgniter is faster than other popular PHP MVC frameworks. Take a look at these Benchmark test done by Rasmus Lerdorf(creator of PHP programming), here , here in here. And also take a look at another benchmark test . So it’s clear that CI is faster than other Framework. Rasmus also told that he liked CodeIgniter because it is faster, lighter and the least like a framework.
  2. Another main reason behind recommendation, it has very low learning curve. CodeIgniter Downloads come with a tremendous user guide which is a great documentation like PHP Manual to begin with. And from my personal experience, CodeIgniter has very low learning curve compared to CakePHP and Zend Framework. If you’re a beginner for PHP frameworks then I recommend to go with CodeIgniter at begining.
  3. The coding conventions are flexible and simple. Ironically, CakePHP has very strict coding conventions so you must be very careful about cases of characters while coding.
  4. Why not Zend Framework and why CodeIgniter? Ok, one question goes here what is so good about Zend Framwork ? Eventual answer is ZF contain huge set of libraries and classes compared to any other framework. OK I agree, but another great news is that You can use Zend Framework’s classes in the CodeIgniter using hooks in CI. So you can use huge amount of Zend’s libraried in CI as well.

These are the main reason why I recommend for using CodeIgniter for PHP programmers.But I still believe that I’ll be using CakePHP for once I get final version of 1.2.0 because I still believe that it is robust,  has a  great design patters and great tool for group development .

If you recommend any other PHP framework, please let us know why you recomment that framework.

25 Comments on “CodeIgniter : A recommendation for PHP Programmer”

• Wil Sinclair wrote on 11 December, 2008, 20:13

I don’t think CI is a bad choice, but I would like to update you on Zend Framework initiatives that might have affected your decision according to what you’ve written. Firstly, Matthew made some big performance improvements for file loading in 1.7, which I haven’t seen benchmarked against other frameworks yet. There will be additional performance enhancements in 1.8. Also in 1.8 we’ll release our suite of RAD tools that will support CLI clients + other interfaces like web apps, IDE’s, XML-RPC for actions performed on your server. All developers will be able to plug in to Zend_Tool. We also have Zend_Application which bootstraps your application with sane defaults that can easily be over-written. There will be few use cases for bootstrapping that Zend_Application will not be able to accommodate. Both of these components will be use-at-will, like the rest of the framework.
    Finally, we are working with our publishing partner, Apress, to completely overhaul the reference guide to fix both grammar/spelling as well as add content where necessary. We’re planning other documentation initiatives that have not yet been announced.
    In any case, good luck with Code Igniter, and I hope to come across you in the ZF community when you’re using ZF components. :)

,Wil

• Okto Silaban wrote on 12 December, 2008, 12:08

Did you read this? – http://www.avnetlabs.com/php/php-framework-comparison-benchmarks#comment-125

And one more thing, you can’t benchmark frameworks with “a hello world”. Use real application..

• Roshan wrote on 12 December, 2008, 17:54

@Wil Sinclair- Thanks a lot for dropping by mentioning the new feature of Zend Framework…I’m a great fan of Zend Library and its classes….I will have to play with some API in this projects so I will definately come accross the Zend Community..

@Okto Silban – I agree that that there should be real application for real comparison but hello world benchmarking tell you a lot about the performance issue I think…

• Bryan P. wrote on 29 December, 2008, 22:29

When I was looking for frameworks to start learning, I was faced with several hundred different frameworks. I have been using Cake and found the chatlines, support and assistance best.

As you mentioned the big choices are Zend, Cake and CI. When compared to each other Cake had the most features and seem to be the most popular.

• Roshan wrote on 30 December, 2008, 17:11

@Bryan P – I really have to say that with the final version 1.2 CakePHP is much better framework if you ask me with compared to other two frameworks…..I’m using codeIgniter for my latest project but I’m missing the ORM feature in it…..which is really very good in CakePHP

• Suvoraj wrote on 25 February, 2009, 9:57

Very good article. I’m thinking about learning this PHP framework.

• danny wrote on 22 March, 2009, 16:25

So, what do you think, which one is better between zend framework and CakePHP?.

• Shahriat Hossain wrote on 26 April, 2009, 4:36

I am using CI for a long time and found out that CI has a good documentation and simplicity better than other F and very fast to understandable .

• mrLami wrote on 4 May, 2009, 16:29

I’m curious as to whether you’ve every played with the Yii framework.

• jigish wrote on 2 June, 2009, 7:46

thanks for this valuable info, i was in a verge of selecting some framework for my next project
    and this article made my choice clear

• sohbet wrote on 2 July, 2009, 13:24

hi good thank you master

• NTireMedia wrote on 9 July, 2009, 9:53

nice work keep it up

• WiserX wrote on 27 July, 2009, 17:38

hi..

You rocks…

The way you explained is fantastic. thank you.

• Dinesh wrote on 4 August, 2009, 5:54

there is no doubt that implementation of PHP framework but sometime what happens, all resources have to be load on memory for doing even small task which is tedious job(memory consumption).

• Zamshed Farhan wrote on 17 August, 2009, 12:27

Ya…understand the importance of CodeIgniter…. I wan to learn it eagerly. Please, would you
    anyone help me about this. Please tell me any weblink about BEST codeigniter tutorial.

• Bibek wrote on 7 January, 2010, 0:20

The best codeigniter tutorial can be found in nettutsplus website. here is the link
    best of luck.

• mohanix tabdar wrote on 14 March, 2010, 18:18

Hi Roshan jee
    Im new for PHP programing and i want to put “Write a comment ” service in my web page then how and what is the code for this.It is necessary to use framework like CI,CP etc….

• Brian Hogg wrote on 18 April, 2010, 22:25

I do agree CI has great documentation and did find Zend a bit tedious to get running, but the performance argument for using Codeigniter is a bit mute. Chances are the core framework will not be the bottle neck in an application.

• Reetu wrote on 30 April, 2010, 7:44

my personal opinion – there is no need to use php framework unless you are developing large project. If you have to develop php projects which takes more than 5 months then you should go for framework.

Among php frameworks – cakephp is doing great.

cheers.

• DarthVader wrote on 30 April, 2010, 18:48

CI = for beginner programmers
    Symfony, Zend, CakePHP = for experienced programmers

• Musta wrote on 13 June, 2010, 10:16

Well for me the best framework is CI for being so light, simple, well coded and easy to extend with your own custom classes and libraries.

• Anil Kumar Panigrahi wrote on 14 July, 2010, 15:10

I am also agree with you Roshan, codeigniter is to learn and implementation is also easy.
    One small contribution is created i.e. Codeigniter multi language support using google translate API : http://www.anil2u.info/2010/05/29/codeigniter-multi-language-support-using-google-translate-api/

Thank you for your information .

1. html beginner guide | Digg hot tags