Change dropdown list (options) values from database with ajax and php

I’m going to show you a example in php and ajax to change the values of the dropdown’s options without refreshing the page. The values (options) of the dropdown are fetched from the database and the certain portion of the web pages is only refreshed without need to refresh the whole page.

Let’s start with creating the two tables country and city and insert some data

CREATE TABLE country
   id tinyint(4) NOT NULL auto_increment,
   country varchar(20) NOT NULL default '',
   PRIMARY KEY  (id)
) TYPE=MyISAM;CREATE TABLE city
  id tinyint(4) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  city varchar(50) default NULL,
  countryid tinyint(4) default NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (id)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

Now let’s look at the html code, let’s look at the code of the form and its elements

<form method="post" action="" name="form1">
Country : <select name="country" nChange="getCity('findcity.php?country='+this.value)">
 <option value="">Select Country</option>
 <option value="1">USA</option>
 <option value="2">Canada</option>
     </select>
<br />City : <div id="citydiv">
 <select name="select">
 <option>Select City</option>
     </select>
 </div>
</form>

As you can see that when the dropdown named “country” is changed the “getCity” function is called. Look at the other dropdown carefully, it is inside the division called “citydiv”.

Now let’s look at the javascript function called “getCity”

function getCity(strURL)
 var req = getXMLHTTP(); // fuction to get xmlhttp object
 if (req)
  req.onreadystatechange = function()
  if (req.readyState == 4) { //data is retrieved from server
   if (req.status == 200) { // which reprents ok status
     document.getElementById('citydiv').innerHTML=req.responseText;
  else
     alert("There was a problem while using XMLHTTP:\n");
req.open("GET", strURL, true); //open url using get method
req.send(null);

now we’ve to create the file called findcity.php and put the following PHP code

<? $country=$_GET['country'];
$link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'root', ''); /change the configuration if required
if (!$link) {
  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
mysql_select_db('db_ajax'); //change this if required
$query="select city from city where countryid=$country";
$result=mysql_query($query);?>
<select name="city">
<option>Select City</option>
<? while($row=mysql_fetch_array($result)) { ?>
   <option value><?=$row['city']?></option>
<? } ?>
</select>

Thats all, whenever you change the dropdown of country the values of the city dropdown is automaticalled changed without refreshing the page.
If you want to download full source code, Click here to download.

Security Note : If you want to use this code in your project then there is a security flaw in the PHP code, please use $country=intval($_GET['country']); in the php code instead of $country=$_GET['country']; in the findcity.php to prevent your site from sql injection attack.

» Changing textbox value from dropdown list using Ajax and PHP
» Populate triple drop down list from database using Ajax and PHP
» Slider Using PHP, Ajax And Javascript
» Ajax login validation system in PHP using jQuery

117 Comments on “Change dropdown list (options) values from database with ajax and php”

• Sumit wrote on 27 December, 2007, 4:46

one thing that i did not understand is when PHP code gets executed
    bcoz u had not called that php file in ur code

• Sumit wrote on 27 December, 2007, 5:41

Yes…i got it..Thanks for reply and code

• Roshan wrote on 27 December, 2007, 5:50

As you can see drop down of country ,onChange event is called. And you can see clearly that i’ve called the filename and parameter from there..

• Roshan wrote on 27 December, 2007, 5:54

welcome man…

• Sumit wrote on 27 December, 2007, 9:36

hi i am getting this error
    “There was a problem while using XMLHTTP:”

so how to fix this?
    is there is any configuration for AJAX??

• Roshan wrote on 27 December, 2007, 14:44

sumit are you using the older version of browser? or you’re placing the files in the different folder, the error you’re getting may be due to incorrect path or may be due to the older browser. if you get more errors then, e-mail me at bhattarairoshan[at]yahoo[dot]com.

• Kaganwine wrote on 8 January, 2008, 17:18

Is there any way to expand this to 3 drop downs? Country => Region => City

• will wrote on 16 January, 2008, 23:22

In response to Sumit’s post on Dec 27th at 9AM:

Roshan’s AJAX XMLHTTPRequest only works in FireFox and Opera. Microsoft Internet explorer requires you to use their XML ActiveX extensions in the browser. If they aren’t enabled, it won’t work. (IMHO, Microsoft has gone mad with browser extensions, which are ruining IE).

The javascript must also be changed to account for this.

I don’t have the code needed on hand, but if you google “cross-browser ajax request”, i’m sure you can find it.

• Me wrote on 17 January, 2008, 0:52

You should use mysql_real_escape_string on the $country variable before putting it into the query string. Any hacker could pass something like:

‘US’; DROP TABLE city;–

to your script, causing serious damage to your database.

• will wrote on 17 January, 2008, 18:49

mysql_real_escape_string is handy, but remember that it requires you to be connected to the database.

In this example it would not degrade performance to use it; however, in other situations, addslashes() is a more effective tool.

The reason I stress this is that if your application is in a query-building phase, ideally you want it to wait to connect to the database until the query is ready to run. Otherwise, the mysql connection resource is idle in memory and may degrade site performance under very high stress.

For this AJAX application, it may be more efficient to recall pulldown data from a cache. MySQL does support query caching, but again, you are required to connect to the database to utilize it. Since country, region, city, etc… do not change very often, it would be more effective to replace a pulldown file cache whenever the database is changed.

• senol wrote on 20 February, 2008, 7:53

cool
    thanks man

• maba wrote on 22 February, 2008, 0:20

I have one problem, if this script is working in a form, on Firefox it works fine and replaces the drop down, but when the form gets submited it seems that it does not treat this drop down field as part of the form, therefore the city field can’t be submited.
    At least I can’t get it in FF, works fine in IE6 + IE7
    any solution for that?

• Roshan wrote on 22 February, 2008, 8:30

well it seems that your html is not formatted correctly..try putting the form element outside of the table tag which contains the form elements..

• maba wrote on 22 February, 2008, 14:47

Thanks Roshan, I got it working after fixing it how you said. Your scripts is great.

• Roshan wrote on 22 February, 2008, 15:04

Thanks maba…

• Greg Cocks wrote on 4 March, 2008, 22:42

Any suggestions as to why the innerHML of the id is not being updated by the responsetext? I used some JS alerts ti display the responsetext and it looks good… just will not show… TIA!

• Roshan wrote on 6 March, 2008, 14:35

please check the case of “innerHTML” it should be like this “innerHTML”. I think it will help good luck..

• mc wrote on 8 March, 2008, 23:18

hi i saw your code and it is somehow similar to mine. could you help me with my error?..

you see i have a text field named source. once a user typed in in the said field, through ajax, it will check the contents of my database. the result will be enumerated in my dropdown named error_message..

now the problem comes when i submit the form. i can’t retrieve the one being selected in my drop down.. here is my code for the dropdown:

Select Destination

i tried to call :

in hopes that i could get the value of the select (drop down)…

but it did not print aanything…
    anyone who knows how can i retrieve the data?
    thnx!

• mc wrote on 8 March, 2008, 23:21

i saw that my code was not properly shown in my previous post… to repeat, this is my code for the dropdown:

Select Destination

• Roshan wrote on 9 March, 2008, 4:23

you must have the problem with the dom format i think..just try putting the form tag above the table tag..i.e create the form element first then put tables inside that form, hope this helps

• fluidmoon wrote on 14 March, 2008, 15:04

Roshan thank you very much for this script. Finally I got it working (I had some small errors on my side :D )

• Tonya wrote on 17 March, 2008, 17:14

I am able to modify your code with my db and it works properly. When I integrate it into the complete form … which uses several tables inside of the form element, it reloads the entire page inside the tags. I’m new to Ajax … and this is frustrating me … please help.

• Chris wrote on 20 March, 2008, 22:29

senol and Maba, I just wanted to thank you for the answer. I have been hunting the net for a few days now trying to find an answer to the problem you encountered:

The problem: when replacing OPTION tags of a form using Ajax, the newly selected options do not get sent to the server, but only in FireFox.

The solution: make sure your FORM is properly formatted. A previous developer had set it up like this:

I changed it to this, and it fixed it:

• Chris wrote on 20 March, 2008, 22:29

Looks like my HTML didn’t make it. Here’s the gist of it:

table
    form
    /table
    /form

changing it to this, fixed it:

form
    table
    /table
    /form

• Kjetil wrote on 6 April, 2008, 21:59

Thanks for a great script. However, I’m experiencing some problems with my implementation. Everything seems to work, but the value from the second drop-down doesn’t get sent with the form? I’m using a div-bades layout.

Any ideas?

• Roshan wrote on 7 April, 2008, 4:43

well..the same problem of DOM…I think you need to form tag outside of div

form
    div
    div
    form

hope this helps….

• gourav wrote on 19 April, 2008, 15:30

Hello I m not able to get the value of ajax select list when submit the form. can anyone help.

• Roshan wrote on 19 April, 2008, 16:43

hey gourav..if you go through the few previous comments you have the solution out there…its same problem with the format of DOM…

• gourav wrote on 19 April, 2008, 18:23

hello thanks for reply. but i m not using div based layout. i m sending my code. can u plz help me to solve the issue of not sending the field in form submit.

Name *

Select State

City *

Select City

Member Image : *

–>

• gourav wrote on 19 April, 2008, 18:31

Thanks, I solved the probs with ur help. Thanks again.

• Roshan wrote on 20 April, 2008, 5:23

Welcome gourav

• Ranjeet wrote on 23 April, 2008, 1:54

It works mate !!!

Cheers
    Ranjeet

• Alex wrote on 5 May, 2008, 13:25

Regarding the problems with the submit if the second droplist has no value. Here is my fix:

Instead of:

You should use:
    <option value=”">

• Tangier wrote on 26 May, 2008, 1:57

This code works, so thanx. But when I click submit, I cannot see the city POST value. I have a feeling is has to do with:

‘findcity.php?country=’+this.value

Something needs to be added to this.

Any help implementing this solution using submit would help. Thanx!

• Roshan wrote on 26 May, 2008, 4:08

if you don’t see values in the post then you can see the comments and answer of this post

• nakliyat wrote on 27 May, 2008, 23:50

thaks roshanbh.com

• Tangier wrote on 28 May, 2008, 2:45

This works in IE but not Firefox.

DO you know why this may be? Thanx!

• Roshan wrote on 28 May, 2008, 15:00

this question is already answered before in the comment…but here is the answer once again..

this is the same problem of DOM…I think you need to form tag outside of table

form
    table
    table
    form

hope this helps

• George wrote on 2 June, 2008, 11:48

I am surprised by this tutorial.
    Thank you very much is the minimun for this good.

• Roshan wrote on 2 June, 2008, 12:02

oh really George……nice to hear that…and I would like to surprise people more..

• çiçek wrote on 4 July, 2008, 16:31

thankssssssss

• Yang wrote on 8 July, 2008, 18:51

Thanks a looooot.

• Arie wrote on 10 August, 2008, 13:04

Why I can’t use it with WAMP (windows apache mysql, php) ? But it’s fine under uni* server. Is there any limitation so it cant be used in localhost like WAMP ?

regards,

• Roshan wrote on 10 August, 2008, 15:53

No man there is nothing to with WAMP…I’ve developed it under XAMPP..try to check the configuration .. there is no problem with platform

• Arie wrote on 14 August, 2008, 4:40

I have tried and the example is worked. But when I changed to my db, the list is not exactly work, it shows all ‘city’ instead of some that choosed by ‘country’. I use intval($_GET['country']).

• dizi izle wrote on 17 September, 2008, 23:30

thanks you…

• çiçek wrote on 21 September, 2008, 6:08

very very cool thankss

• çiçek wrote on 23 September, 2008, 7:42

bilgilendirme için çok çok te?ekkürler

• Ray wrote on 29 September, 2008, 17:46

Thank you very much for your work with this script.

I do have a question regarding the second onchange (“onchange=”getCity(,this.value)”>”). For my purposes I’m trying to use a alpha in place of the $country value, which is an integer in the stock script form. When I try this, I get a Javascript error, basically that, whatever the value of $country is, is undefined within the Javascript.

To easily test, try hard-setting the first value in the onchange as follows – “onchange=”getCity(abc,this.value)”>”, and “abc” will be the undefined error in the Javascript.

Has anyone else come across this. I can work around it, but would like to know if I’m missing something else logic-wise.

• cicek wrote on 16 October, 2008, 6:58

thanku you

• Anuj wrote on 18 November, 2008, 6:58

The code is good enough. But I have added some functionality to it as I have submitted the form by inserting some extra fields and validations into it. When I submit a form after selecting country and state but keeping other fields unfilled then a validation arises. In this case, country remains selected but the selection of state gets lost. How can I maintain the relationship between country and state after form submission.

• çiçekçi wrote on 18 November, 2008, 14:57

online çiçek sipari?iyle ?imdi çiçek göndermek çok daha kolay.çiçekçilik sektörönü sanata dönü?türen tek çiçekçi..

• çiçekçi wrote on 18 November, 2008, 14:58

thankyouuuu

• Bryson wrote on 20 December, 2008, 2:15

Nice script, does just what I was looking for.

For anyone having those problems with the ajax generated select value not being submitted, you do have to add value=”" to each option.

• Roshan wrote on 20 December, 2008, 15:06

@Bryson – thanks for the suggestion…….

• çiçekçi wrote on 22 December, 2008, 11:46

For sharing thank you very much good very beautiful work

• Hector wrote on 26 December, 2008, 1:27

hey there, i was having some problems with the display of options, but i found a solution
    instead of this code:

Select City

i added php after the ?, and a ; after each variable, here’s the solution

Select City

hope this helps out some fellow programmers (:

• dizi izle wrote on 28 December, 2008, 10:00

• Amer shriedi wrote on 3 January, 2009, 13:15

thanks I have found this so informative to me….. thanks alot again …. :D

• Warz wrote on 16 February, 2009, 19:18

Thank you, this code was very helpfull :)

• Amelle wrote on 22 February, 2009, 16:29

great imformatipn

• Anas wrote on 20 March, 2009, 7:51

Hey,

After ages of breaking my head, i came across your code, thanks so much!
    Could you help me with this small query though –> Suppose i have a submit button, and i call a js function, How do I pick up the selected value from the city drop down?? I’ve struggled with this with… please help!

• Hameed wrote on 25 March, 2009, 8:04

Thanks for you article. This will work great if JavaScript is enabled in the browser.

If JavaScript is disabled in the browser, i want to submit the form with post when the country is changed then in the php file i want to get the country id from the post and filter the cities and update the city fields. Please help me on how to post form data with country id when the country selection is changed.

I want to use Ajax (if JavaScript is enabled) or form submit (if JavaScript is disabled).

How can I find out the JavaScript is enabled or not in the browser? I want this functionality in both situations.

Thanks .

• Roshan wrote on 25 March, 2009, 10:10

hey hameed checkout this post know how to handle disabled javascript in browser..hope it helps

• john wrote on 1 April, 2009, 4:05

Thanks for the code

my options are usually:

switch

how do i get this to work with your tool?

when i try:

it doesn’t show the 2nd value in the select box

• john wrote on 2 April, 2009, 2:31

okay, i did actually read the comments – they just didn’t stick in

so i have a different problem

i am sending the value to the external php page just fine, and i am using that value for two different queries and two different pull down boxes

trouble is, i can’t seem to get both select boxes to show up as i want them to

how do i make sure my divs are separated?

does that make sense?

• hal? y?kama wrote on 2 April, 2009, 13:42

Meanwhile further tribulations i expect

• Keith Harris wrote on 10 April, 2009, 7:41

I was using this for two drop-downs, Make and Model of cars. When I choose ‘Citroen’ or ‘Chrysler’ from the first list nothing would appear in the second but all other makes worked fine. When I changed the query string to ‘citroen’ with a small ‘c’ it worked so I added a strtolower() when outputting the value of the option in the first dropdown.

This resolved the problem but i have no idea why it happened.

• dan wrote on 21 April, 2009, 22:40

How would I change the code to be able and populate the first drop down for the database instead of USA
    Canada
    have tried several options and can get it to populate the first drop down but then does not populate the second.

• dan wrote on 21 April, 2009, 22:41

sorry I mean
    “USA”
    ” Canada”

• beyaz e?ya servisi wrote on 5 May, 2009, 6:51

sorry I mean
    “USA”
    ” Canada”

• Kyle wrote on 16 May, 2009, 0:30

Hey there!

Amazing script!!!!

Question for you, Im trying to use this in connection with another one of my scripts that I use to “duplicate forms”

essentially I have a form with 2 inputs, that can be “duplicated” when you duplicate the inputs, i have it adding [ ] to the end of each variable in order to be able to have an array caputure data on the other side for each of the inputs, Im having trouble incorporating your script with mine because of the [ ] , do you happen to have a way where I could have multiple of these auto dropdowns on a single page?

• araç kiralama wrote on 18 May, 2009, 10:20

• Selma wrote on 27 May, 2009, 9:43

I use your script for a car make /model dropdown. This wroks great, accept for Citroën.
    The first dropdown shows Citroën but the second dropdown shows no models. In the DB there are several models. Looks like it doesn’t recognize Citroën in the DB. Has it something to do with the trema on the e.

Any solution?

• Azmi wrote on 30 May, 2009, 9:24

Hey dudes I figured it out. I finally understood. There should be a main table containing all the field controls. And the form tags should be outside that table tags.
    Thanks for this code roshan keep it up…!

• yat kiralama wrote on 5 July, 2009, 19:01

• Elemental Web and Mobile Solutions wrote on 6 July, 2009, 15:15

Thanks for the post, quite a nice tutorial. Will definitely use in the future

• izmir web tasar?m wrote on 12 July, 2009, 13:05

• Emma wrote on 27 July, 2009, 11:25

What about the tables content???
    Anyone has the SQL table code for the entries????

• medyum wrote on 12 August, 2009, 13:32

• lida fx15 biber hap? ikibindokuz seo yar??mas? wrote on 17 August, 2009, 7:57

thanks very good !

• band?rma web tasar?m wrote on 31 August, 2009, 11:23

i love this blog :)

• siemens servisi wrote on 31 August, 2009, 14:40

• Muthu Vijayan wrote on 3 September, 2009, 5:29

Not working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• aasifnasim wrote on 11 September, 2009, 7:38

i download your code and modified for me
    actually i wanted to use 2 combo
    1 for Master and another if master A is selected then it will populate
    its correspondence child in second list
    but it will not displaying by using your code
    i m working in php+mysql
    is dere any other code for the same problem

• S.SRIVATHSAN wrote on 24 September, 2009, 10:21

hei it’s cool and very nice to use. but i need to populate more than one textbox by selecting a value in the drop down list. pls help me. let me clear abt my probs

by selecting the employee id in the dropdown list, the employee name and employee email id and employee tel no. must be displayed in the corresponding textboxes. kindly help me with your clear cut example style.

• Bharat wrote on 2 October, 2009, 15:10

Hi
    I got the code to work and would like to open a webpage when the final selection is made. Is this possible ? What additional code would I need.

• aarti wrote on 8 October, 2009, 6:23

hi all,
    i hv a problem wd this script…
    the 2nd dropdownlist for city is not populating anything after selecting the first one…
    olz help me………

• poorni wrote on 27 October, 2009, 10:43

can i get code for the contact us from using ajax and php?

• poorni wrote on 27 October, 2009, 10:50

i need to display the content of contact us form in other page using php and ajax. can anyone help me?

• Oug wrote on 1 November, 2009, 20:57

Hi all,

Code is great! But… does anyone know how to pass back a second field? (not only the city name in this example but the city id as well)????

please heeeeelp !!!!

• medyum wrote on 4 November, 2009, 7:52

• evdeneve naklederiz wrote on 16 November, 2009, 11:18

thanks very good !

• Erdo?an wrote on 16 November, 2009, 18:39

thanks admin very good !

• ali wrote on 17 November, 2009, 16:43

thank you very much admin good very beautiful work

• warhead wrote on 20 November, 2009, 3:09

hi, i got this error “object expected”. How to solve this problem? Thanx in advance

• airpark wrote on 22 November, 2009, 20:53

Any ideas if there’s a different way of doing this using the JQuery library which will get around the browser issues?

• unlucky wrote on 23 November, 2009, 21:48

Very nice. I just wonder how could it be for NON mysql

im total newbie into ajax and js. Could you tell me howto make it without mysql?

for ex.> USA -> 3 options
    ASIA -> 5 options and so on

• Nakliyeci Rehberi wrote on 4 December, 2009, 11:48

Very nice good article Thanks admin

• nazar wrote on 7 December, 2009, 17:08

thanks for all it is very nice blog

• cmycll wrote on 11 December, 2009, 21:59

Very simple and descriptive narration. Thank you very much.

• Ron wrote on 22 December, 2009, 5:28

3 years after you share your code, I find it and download source files. It works great! I googled so much I got warnings it though I was a bot, lol. Yours was the only ajax/php code I found for populating a dropdown box while not requiring the php echo function. You are very talented. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us. :)

• araç sorgulama wrote on 29 December, 2009, 11:56

• gelinlik wrote on 20 January, 2010, 9:54

want to submit the form with post when the country is changed then in the php file i want to get the country id from the post and filter the cities and update the city fields. Please help me on how to post form data with country id when the country selection is changed….

• çiçekçi wrote on 27 February, 2010, 7:11

hi
    I’m really very useful to follow a long-time see this as a blog here Thank you
    for your valuable information.

• Josh wrote on 27 February, 2010, 21:40

Thank you very much for this tutorial. Keep up the good work.

• Yusuff wrote on 6 March, 2010, 20:17

Thanks a lot man, I’m really new to AJAX, and I wanted to do a similar function in my project and I was searching everywhere to know the easiest and understandable method, and yeah I found YOU and YOUR methods, nice man! .

• matematica wrote on 25 March, 2010, 9:31

Very good!You help me so much with this code.Life it’s easily.

• Saj wrote on 25 March, 2010, 18:54

Hey Roshan… Thanks alot for the code… really helped!!

• Fullbellek wrote on 6 May, 2010, 10:05

great work! thanks…

• vishal wrote on 26 May, 2010, 11:57

Hey i’m new to AJAX n PHP…im usin ur code but my city list is not getting polpulated…so wht shud i do…i guess it’s bcoz u have not mention the path for findcity.php in index.php…n i hav gone through some comment…but cudnt get the answer…

• dev wrote on 27 May, 2010, 7:57

Wen i submitting the form, if error occur because of validation ,not getting the value i selected in city. how to retain values in dropdown list after refreshing ? pls help me.

• zeeshan wrote on 7 June, 2010, 20:44

man u rock . thanks

1. Populate triple drop down list (change options value) from database using Ajax and PHP - country, state and city drop down list in ajax and php
  2. Changing textbox value from dropdown list using Ajax and PHP